Ethiopia: High Profile Businessmen Get Prison Sentence For Tax Evasion

1. bendo says:

OWE
    is this means another candle night and demonstration infront of White house?

2. Hunter says:

I belive God will help us to clear all these mess in that Nation and restore our MORAL! I thank God the former leader has gone for good! Its a massive task for the current regime to clear everything becuase Ato Meles put a system where every Tigrian Official can exploit, loot and do anything they want to! This is a leader who let all these corrupted individuals to settle and creat thier own network. Its a shame Ethiopia is a place now nothing can be done without corruption.

• melash desta says:

Do you mean the owner of Ayat is a Tigrawi?

• Hunter says:

He is non Tigrian who collaborate with the Master minders of Corruption. The Giant looters are top TPLF officials and their associates. for now the difficult task when it comes to Anti corruptions is that whoever try to wipe out corruption has a difficult job because ALL TPLF/EPRDF officials are players.

• Jagama says:

Hunter…..He is not neither Tigre nor collabrater. They put him in prison simpy because he is Amhara and is not willing to collabrte with them. Amara habt endiyafera ayfekedletim be woyane era.

3. Gezaee H. says:

Good job: PM HD has started cleaning the system that was infested with corruption specially after TPLF split.

4. Mario(from Ohio) says:

Ethiopian justice system cheers! Clean them out! Greedy bunches who have no love for their country whatsoever have to be eliminated! Instead of being charitable with the blessing they get , they steel from their motherland ! I wish there is a severe punishment for these thieves !

5. Tadele says:

Very nice reporting by this website. I was wondering if corruption in Ethiopia is being dealt a good blow since it has been a chronic and debilitating problem in that country and everywhere in Africa. Thanks Awramba!! You gave me confidence to go there on vacation for the first time since I left more than 4 decades ago. The government is doing the right thing and I hope will continue to do so. This will at least strike fears in the hearts of those who have dipped their hands in such unlawful acts.

6. BHabesha says:

why is everyting done all connected with politics for the dispora fyi these case was started 3 yrs ago

7. Abe says:

@Tadele

I think you are naive. Ato Ayalew Tessema and his company, Ayat were a fierce competitors to Woyane’s business empire. The guy did contribute a lot to his country. Can you show me how can this verdict help for good business practice and competition?

• Tadele says:

Abe,

I don’t know! I just read this news article on this website and thought such destructive culture of conducting business is being brought to justice. I am apolitical and I don’t like to be involved in politics. I am a business and so successful so in my manufacturing enterprise. I have no time for politics but I hate corruption. In our manufacturing community there is quite a bit of news of opportunity back there. Then I decided to get the latest news regarding the prevalent corruption in Africa in general and Ethiopia in particular. And coincidentally I saw this news. I was thinking about going there on vacation to find out myself. But if you guys think that corruption is still rampant then no need for my trip. I am extremely busy here anyway. But it is good news to me and my business colleagues that something is being done to bring corruption under control. History has shown us that it is very hard to completely eradicate it. The bottom line about my trip: As they say ‘Forget about it!!!’

8. Ewnetu says:

There is no option than riding of the system from the scourge of corruption if the country were to join the club of middle income countries and realize its vision of Ethiopian Renaissance. It is just the tip of the iceberg and Aluta continua .

9. Michael says:

The corruption is from top to bottom echelons. Nothing change is expected unless the main corruption area that is the top looters are cleaned up, such as the mother of corruption Azeb, Nega Sebahat, Abay Tsehaye, Bereket, Berhane G/Kirstose(#1), and others.

10. Worqu says:

What happened with a related case of Access Real Estate?

11. Mario says:

እግዲህ የኛ ሰዎች እንዲህ ናቸው! ኢትዮጵያውያን ይህችን ኣገር እንዳገር እንድትቀጥል በክብር በሚልዮኖች የሚቆጠር ህይወት ገብረውላታል፣ቆስለውላታል፣ደምተውላታል፣ክብራቸውን እንደልብስ ቀደው ከፍለውላታል ወዘተ! ይህ ሁሉ ሲሆን መሪዎቻችንና ባለሃብቶች ተመሳጥረው ኣገር መገንባት ይገባው የነበረውን የታክስ ገቢ ተከፋፍለው ለግላቸው ተጠቅሟል፤ይኸው እንደድሮ ባይበዛም ኣሁንም ከናት ኣገራቸው በመስረቃቸው ተፈርዶባቸዋል! ለወደፊትም በዚሁ ይቀጥል!ያደጉት ምዕራባዊ ኣገሮች ይኼን ሁሉ እድገት ያስመዘገቡት ታክስ በተገቢው ስለሚሰበስቡና ህዝቡም በተገቢው ታክስ ስለሚከፍል ነውና ሁላችንም ያገር ግዴታችንን እንድንወጣ ያስፈልጋ!